Our dojo (martial arts school) teaches Yoshukai Karate. Adult Karate classes meet four nights a week, and are taught by certified World Yoshukai Black Belts. Students begin at white belt and can attain the black belt in 3 to 4 years, training at least twice a week. All testings are overseen by head instructor, sixth degree black belt, Shihan Gerry Blanck.
Yoshukai means “strive for excellence” in Japanese. Students of Yoshukai Karate learn the 5 Precepts, which help them along this path:
FIVE PRECEPTS – SHUGYOSHA GOKUN
- Respect and Manners – Hitostu – Reigi o omonzubeshi
- Be Prudent in Action – Hitostu – Taido o imashimubeshi
- Be Prudent in Speech – Hitostu – Gengo o tsutsushimbeshi
- Keep High Spirited – Hitostu – Iki o sakan ni subeshi
- Keep Yourself Clean – Hitostu – Seiketsu o mune to subeshi